Ludum Dare 30 - Post Mortem

title

So I survived my first Ludum Dare. I got my game finished in 48 hours and dropped unconscious immediately after...lol. Actually this was a fantastic experience but I'll get back to that. In the end I developed a dimension hopping platformer called prism.

Tools

  • Development
    • vim/tmux - for coding
    • chrome/developer tools - debugging/testing
    • tiled - for tilemaps
    • phaser.js - awesome framework
  • Graphics
    • SpriteSomething - sprites
    • pixen - sprites
    • pixelmator - title image
  • Sound
    • sfx - bfxr
    • PixiTracker - music

What Went Right

Scope

I feel like I did a pretty decent job predicting the scope of the work I needed to do. I was watching the #LD48 tweets before the jam and there was one that really stuck with me from @beeglebug

beeglebug

Anyway, totally did the trick for me. I shotgunned a bunch of ideas and picked one. Then I came up with as many concepts for that idea as I could. I picked from those lists the things I thought we possible for me to do in that time frame and ran with it.

SpriteSomething

I hadn't even planned on using this, I intended to do most of my sprite work in Pixen. As it turned out, I spent a lot more time than I wanted to out of the house and I ended up doing the majority of my sprites from my iphone/ipad.

The music

It worked out better than I thought it would. I wrote it rather quickly and was worried it would be more of an annoying distraction than add to the game. In the end I was pleased with how it turned out so I left it in.

What Went Wrong

Bugs, like the player rendering before the tilemap, made him appear behind the scenery rather than infront in certain places, and my collision detection and controls could have been tighter. Definitely needed more play testing.

The yellow level was too easy. I originally wanted to make the teleport work as long as you were unobstructed, and fire off like a beam. If the beam hit something you'd materialize early. In the end I didn't have time so I made it so you could teleport directly to the mouse pointer.

The green level, was suppose to have zombies which you'd be able to shoot with a new ability in that world. Again, low on time I opted to put spikes as the moving element for that level. I left the zombie sprite in the assets directory anyway...didn't have the heart to take him out...sniff.

zombies

Also, I wish I did a timelapse, seeing everyone elses looks so cool. I kinda wish I had done one too, it's neat watching a game take shape out of nothing.

In Conclusion

I absolutely loved this experience. It was exciting and tense, and I had a great sense of accomplishment by the end of it. Hearing the feedback and playing other peoples games has been really great. I learned a lot from developing my game, but I think I probably learned even more playing games by the other developers. Picked up a bunch to new tools and techniques and can't wait to try them out. It's a great community and was fun to be a part of it, hopefully this will be the first of many ludum dares.