Week 1 - PREfectionist

You can play the game here.

So this is the first game developed for my one game a week challenge. It's a pretty straight forward matching game. You have shapes that you match in slots and try to beat the clock.

Why a matching game...

The idea for the game came out of sheer disappointment from the game that inspired it. While in toys-r-us with my 3 year old son I came across a board game I hadn't seen since I was little, called Perfection

Perfection

In my excitment I hadn't even noticed that is wasn't at all the same game from my childhood. Which was:

Perfection Original

Right away the difference is quite obvious. This new game was nine pieces (as opposed to 25), had a slide timer that wasn't very accurate, and a tray that would pop even when the timer didn't go off. It lost it's replay value after the first couple games since my son could solve it even with half the time alotted.

Anyway, I wanted to give him an experience closer to the one I had when I was a kid, and so I decided to make a matching game that he would find fun and challenging.

Decisions, decisions

Although not exactly the same at the original I did want to keep the elements I thought really worked. Most notably the frantic feeling of racing the clock and the explosion at the end to kind of surprise you out of your concentration.

To make the clock feel like something you couldn't ignore I gave it a timer that would run out in a short amount of time (depending on the selected difficulty). Placing a piece would reset the timer, but you can't bank time by scoring a lot of pieces in a row. This made the clock an ever present threat and one that couldn't be ignored by solving a lot of pieces at once.

The game board changes throughout the game. In the levels it changes dimensions, as well as each replay the positions of the slots and some of the shapes themselves change.

Difficulty could be selected at the beginning of the game, which would affect how quickly you had to solve each piece. Also, for "easy" and "normal", everytime a player lost 3 times in a row it would reduce the difficulty for that level.

Stuff I learned

I learned how to use draggable sprites, something I hadn't done in any of my previous games. As well as adding a difficulty system which can be chosen and adjusted as required. I also deployed this game to both my site and itch.io to give that a try, which was surprisingly simple.

Other Stuff

The source code is available on github here.

Also, I screen recorded the development process which I put into a timelapse in case anyone is interested.

Anyway, that's all for now. See ya in the next one :)